A healthy lifestyle is a key to a long and fruitful life. How do we maintain a healthy lifestyle? The key is a balanced diet and exercise. In that regard, let us first understand what a balanced diet is. A balanced diet is the kind of diet that covers and provides all the necessary vitamins and nutrients required for a healthy body.
A woman’s body undergoes many changes from a very young age to puberty to adulthood. Going through these physiological changes requires the necessary nutrients.
What are the most vital nutrients for women?
- Calcium- It is the most important mineral for maintaining good bone health. It is recommended that women intake an adequate amount of calcium. Foods like milk, yoghurt, cheese, green leafy vegetables, nuts, soybean – etc., are good sources of vitamin D. Milk is a source of both Calcium and vitamin D, which is important because Vitamin D is important helps in the absorption of calcium from foods.
- Iron- Iron helps regulate healthy blood cells, growth, transporting oxygen to the tissues, and making certain hormones. It is believed that women generally requiremore iron than men because women menstruate, and with each cycle, women lose a bit of iron. An adequate intake of iron is especially recommended after the onset of menstruation women. Iron deficiency can cause anaemia which can further lead to a shortage of healthy red blood cells. It can cause fatigue, weakness and shortness of breath. Food like beef, turkey, chicken, halibut, tuna, beans, lentils are great sources of iron, including bananas, avocadoes and many fruits, grains and vegetables.
- Vitamin D3– Found in fish, egg, milk and other dairy products, Vitamin D helps in cell growth, improving immune function and reducing inflammation in the body. Vitamin D is also produced when the body is exposed to direct sunlight; hence outdoor activities are recommended for vitamin D3.
- Magnesium: Magnesium helps produce protein, maintain a healthy level of blood sugar and blood pressure, and healthy functioning of the muscles and nerves in our bodies. They are found in Nuts, spinach, beans and whole grains like barley, what etc.
Below is a list of foods to include in diet, and these are commonly available and easy to procure as well –
- Dairy products like cheese, yoghurt etc
- Green leafy vegetables
- Whole grains
- Lean meat
These are the most vital nutrients for women that should be consumed for a healthy body. How do we acquire a good balance of these very important nutrients? It is said that your plate should have more colours in it and in good portion- this essentially means that your diet should include plenty of fresh vegetables, fruits, grains and nuts. So women must include a healthy dose of daily greens in their diet. But, maintaining a healthy diet and eating all the necessary food may sometimes not be possible. Suppose you are on a restricted diet or are allergic to certain food products that are a good source of these nutrients. In that case, you can supplement your diet with multivitaminslike nano iron melts which are a good source of vitamin B12 iron and folic acid. It is also important to note that with a growing and changing body- the nutritional needs change too- hence it is important to get regular check-ups and tests and moderate the levels of these nutrients in your body. Your diet should take care of your deficits, and it should help regulate a good balance of nutrients since maintaining a balance is also very important. Certain nutrients have special roles to play during specific years, so that should also be taken into account- like the importance of iron is particularly increased after a girl attains puberty and begins menstruating. With these things in mind, it is essential to give her an adequate supply of iron to avoid any deficiency and its complications.
With a good lifestyle, a healthy balanced diet and proper exercise- you achieve a healthy body, and as they say- health is wealth.